Have you ever longed for your spouse to call and tell you the plans he had for you both have been cancelled? Prayed for your friend to call you and say they can’t meet you for your outing? Begged for Mother Nature to rain out your child’s ballgame? You’re not alone and you shouldn’t feel bad about it!
We are inherently busy people. When we aren’t at work we’re running countless errands or at home where there are so many more things to get done. As parents we have so much more to do than to simply go to work and do our jobs. Or run the household if you’re a stay at home mom. We have kids sporting events, doctor’s appointments, shopping for groceries, mountains of laundry, and quite honestly the list goes on. Our kids are constantly pulling every string in our bodies in a hundred ways simultaneously.
That’s why it’s so important to take time for a little bit of self-care.
Take a look at your day and find time to sit down and disconnect from being a mom. What do you enjoy doing? Here are 20 ideas to taking time for you and recharging your body and mind.
Tell your husband he’s on daddy duty and….
- Take a hot bath or shower
- Put your favorite pajamas on and turn on your favorite show or movie
- Pour yourself a glass of wine and grab your favorite book
- Bust out your favorite exercise
- Lace up your sneakers and go for a run
- Find an e-course online and soak in some knowledge
- Hide away to get a project done
- Get a massage
- Go out to eat by yourself
- Subscribe to a box & treat yourself (I personally prefer Birchbox)
- Go shopping
- Brew a cup of coffee and sip it in silence
- Pull out the cookies you’ve been hiding in the back of the pantry and indulge
- Grab your adult coloring book and color away your stress
- Go for a long drive and jam out to your favorite music
- Take a long nap or simply go to bed early.
- Go for a long walk
- Turn your phone off and just be present in the moment
- Just say no- to everyone & everything
Taking time for ourselves is so important.
We are in a time in our lives where we are trying to be everywhere and do everything. It’s okay to say no- and just be by yourself. Your husband can take the parenting hat for a couple hours so you can recharge your batteries. Otherwise you are no good to your family or yourself. You can’t run on fumes so make time for yourself.
Affirmations for Motherhood
Breathe life into your journey through motherhood with these affirmations.