*This post contains affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Christmas is around the corner which means we only have a few weeks to take advantage of the season and really make some memories. Does your family have a list of Christmas traditions to check off as the days are counted down?
When my husband and I had our daughter we decided from the very beginning that we would spend Christmas morning at our house. That was a difficult yet exciting decision for us to make. We grew up shuffling from home to home during the holidays and we just didn’t want that for our children. With 5 years under our belts I can successfully say we have built many Christmas traditions and be home on Christmas morning is one of them.
If you’re looking for great ideas to build traditions within your family here are 24 to choose from. My little family does nearly all of these every year.
1. Cut down your Christmas tree and decorate it together
2. Read one Christmas book per day
3. A Christmas movie per day
4. Donate to a local food pantry
5. Buy special Christmas ornament each year for the tree
6. Bake a special Christmas cookie recipe
7. Send Christmas cards to the family
8. Make homemade hot chocolate
9. Drive around to see Christmas lights
10. Gather toys to donate to a local shelter
11. Advent calendar
12. Decorate your home for Christmas
13. Decorate gingerbread houses
14. Have a Polar Express campout
15. Get a picture taken with Santa
16. Write a letter to Santa
17. Make a Christmas basket for an unsuspecting recipient
18. Put out reindeer dust and food on Christmas Eve
19. Exchange Christmas Eve gifts
20. New Christmas pajamas for everyone in the family
21. Have a game marathon for Christmas Day gathering with family… different games at each table and rotate
22. Make a keepsake and let the kids decorate it
23. Watch a parade
24. Elf on the Shelf
Year after year my family goes out to a tree farm and cuts down our tree. We bring it home and decorate it as a family. We go out and buy one special ornament for each family member. When my husband and I started our family we just purchased a few boxes of ornaments then added to the tree each year. It’s now full and completely our own. We have an elf named Jerome. He isn’t a crazy elf that brings lots of goodies or does a whole lot. In fact, he usually doesn’t move much at all once he arrives. We especially love to have camp outs on the floor with pillows, blankets, and snacks to watch Christmas movies. These little things will make a huge difference in the memories your kids grow up with. Most of them don’t cost much either!
So that’s it! What does your family do each year to build memories and long lasting Christmas traditions? I’d love to hear from you. Leave me a comment below or jump over to Facebook or Twitter.
Until next time!