This blog post contains affiliate links. I only recommend things I believe in and love. Learn more.
We are several days beyond Thanksgiving and I am reeling from the incredible amount of energy and time I put into planning, prepping, cooking and cleaning up. It has been a very busy week here in our family.
Today I feel like death. My head is heavy, my body is dry and I am beyond thirsty. These are all signs of dehydration. It is beyond important to drink more water during this season so you do not end up dehydrated like I am right now.
I have been drinking water all day today and it’s only been since this afternoon that I’ve started noticing a change in my body. I talk about self-care a lot for Moms, but I often forget to walk the talk. We all have those moments where our decision-making skills could use a little nurturing. Am I right?
So here are some actionable tips to implement to make sure you are getting enough water during this crazy holiday season.
- Drink a glass of water first thing in the morning before you do anything else.
- Get a water pitcher and fill it. Leave it on the counter right there in sight.
- Get a pretty cup or bottle you really like. I like to fill my cup back up before it’s even empty.
- Drink from a straw. I know a lot of people say that drinking from a straw has some drawbacks, but for me personally I drink more when I have a straw.
- Snack on foods filled with water.
- Get a water filter that makes your water taste better. For me personally, I don’t like the funky tasting water that comes from my tap. We installed a home filter and there is a filter in my fridge. If you don’t have those options though something like this would work just fine.
- Set a timer on your phone.
- Use a water tracking app. My iWatch can even pull the app from my phone and gently remind me when I need to drink more.
- Add flavorings to it. Although I don’t prefer this method it doesn’t make it any less effective. Some people just don’t like to drink water because it doesn’t have a flavor. Just try to stay away from the ones with a lot of sugar.
- Drink one glass of water for every glass of whatever else you are drinking. This is especially important if you are drinking alcohol.
- Keep a tracker in your bullet journal or somewhere else. If you are a list-maker then you already like to mark things off. So why not make a water tracker that you can mark off little boxes on for your water?!
- Trade in your afternoon coffee break for a cup of hot tea instead. Just because it’s caffeinated doesn’t take away the water content or make you lose a ton of water later.
Drinking more water ensures your body is functioning properly and you’re not downright miserable like I am right now. The fatigue, dryness, dry mouth, thirst, headache and decreased urine output are all just torture. This is something that could have been avoided if I would have been more conscience about drinking water. Despite being busy and trying to “get it all done” before this unreasonable time I had set for myself, I should have been more conscience of my actions. That doesn’t happen all the time though and that is why I put together this list of things you can do to ensure you get the water intake you need, even during the holidays.
Here are what other busy Moms are saying on how they get their water intake.
“I have a 32oz Nalgene bottle that I fill in the morning and try to drink it once, fill it, and drink another 32 before I go to sleep. Rarely can I get a full 64oz in but that’s what I aim for, it’s usually around 42. I try to think of it like my goal is to empty the bottle twice vs trying to drink “8 glasses a day”. I also use a straw which I think helps drink more at once.” -Meredith P Marsh founder of VidProMom
“I keep a full 32oz bottle next to me at all times. I am a bit of a water freak.” -Monica Froese founder of Redefining Mom
“Habit! As a rule, I make to chug a giant glass of water first thing in the morning while my coffee is brewing and tote my water bottle around during the day. If I want another round of coffee, then I have to down another big glass then too.” Jessica Trotman founder of Moink
There you’ve heard it. We are all in need of a little extra water in our daily routines. Use these tips in conjunction with my free printable water tracker and don’t forget to hydrate! Grab my free water tracker by filling out the form below then checking your email! You will get instant access to my free library of printables!
I would like to hear from you! How do you make sure you are drinking enough water? What tips do you have or resources do you use?
Now excuse me while I go refill my cup!
Do You Want An All Access Pass?
Only subscribers get instant access to my FREE printables! Join today.