Can I ask you a few questions?
Are you happy? Do you feel overwhelmed? Do you feel like you never put yourself first?
This blog post contains affiliate links. I only recommend things I believe in and love. Learn more.
If you’re anything like me you probably don’t spend a lot of time on yourself. Whether it’s reading, showering or buying yourself things you probably never do any of those things before taking care of your family. It just doesn’t happen often enough and honestly, I’m not sure why. Why do we do that to ourselves? We put our own well-being after that of our family. Well, I’m here to tell you it’s time to stop putting yourself last.
We do it because we need to do “All the things”, right?
For me when I don’t focus on 5 things I tend to be off center and get stressed beyond belief.
A lot of people are talking about self-care lately. It’s everywhere, but I have yet to see a post detail more than what activities can be done.
Here are my 5 things that I focus on throughout my week to make sure my own well-being is looked after.
Emotional & Mental Self-Care
I do my best to find balance in everything I do from eating to exercise, watching television and spending time with family. I like to journal and write out my goals, ambitions, random thoughts and gratitude.
- Finding balance in daily life
- Balanced diet
- Meaningful conversation through relationships
This one I’m not as good about staying consistent with. I have a tendency to yo-yo this self-care item more than anything else. When I focus on working out though I see great results in my rest and relaxation. I found a workout program on Instagram by a girl named Alexa Jean. I bought a total body program she put together and I’ve loved every bit of it.
- Strength training
This one varies for me but I say a little prayer for whatever is weighing on my mind. I try to take the time to focus saying a prayer and meditating when I get the chance. Spiritual self-care doesn’t necessarily need to be religious. Spirituality can be focusing on your values, morals, beliefs and principles as well as your faith. I also enjoy writing in a gratitude journal.
I really enjoy researching and learning new things. This for me is an ever evolving facet of my life. For me lately it’s been all learning about business, but I try to find the balance between things I need to learn and things I want to learn.
- Take an online course
- Find a community center near you to see what they offer
- Pick up a new book
- Download an educational app
So how do you start putting yourself first?
- Give yourself permission. Seriously, tell yourself it’s okay to have time.
- Make “you time” a priority. It doesn’t matter how often, where or when. Just make it a priority. Once you have the plan made then stick to it.
- Tell your family your plan. Getting your family involved and letting them know your plan to get out of the house or lock yourself in your room will get them prepared. They will know that Mommy is off duty and it’s important for her to have this time.
- Just say NO! You remember that plan you set when you made your time a priority then you got your family involved? Well just because the neighbors are having a BBQ doesn’t mean you need to be there. Just say no!
Repeat after me… it’s not selfish to have time for myself. Got it?! Good!
Do you need a reminder about embracing being the mom you are? Sign up for my free balanced mom email series! It comes with free printables!
Are you stressed mama?
Get a weekly email straight to your inbox full of inspiration + a free printable to encourage you on your journey through motherhood.